Coca-Cola HBC supports and promotes sustainable plants and warehouses; we’re always looking to introduce innovative processes and solutions.
Coca‑Cola HBC supports and promotes sustainable plants and warehouses; we’re always looking to introduce innovative processes and solutions.
Coca‑Cola HBC is committed to developing its business sustainably and to respecting the environment. This means we support sustainable plants and warehouses and focus on developing innovative processes and solutions for our products and processes.
Innovation for a clean, renewable energy supply
From 2010, we have consistently reduced our carbon emissions and water consumption per litre of soft drink produced. We look to reduce our carbon emissions and explore all available green energy technologies.
- We’ve invested more than €2 million in extending our mineral water bottling plant in Bankia, Bulgaria and optimising our processes. This, alongside another initiatives, helped to achieve a 12.5 percent reduction in the water we use and a 5.7 percent reduction in energy usage
- We have contracted eight co-generation plants with ContourGlobal: they are operational, optimising our combined heat, cooling and power consumption in our plants in Ploesti (Romania), Nogara (Italy), Ikeja (Nigeria), Oricola (Italy), Radzymin (Poland), Kiev (Ukraine), Knockmore Hill (Ireland) and Benin (Nigeria)
- We are installing another two units provided by our partner EnerG in Timisoara (Romania) and Marcianise (Italy)
- In Nigeria, we have developed co-generation solutions for Port Hartcourt and Owerri that will be in operation in 2016, and have initiated a similar project for the Asejire plant
- We have installed photovoltaic power (solar energy) in our plants at Oricola, Nogara and Marcianise in Italy, while we have planned to similar investments for 2016-2020 for at least seven more sites
- Energy initiatives in 2015 include using atmospheric free cooling in Radzymin (Poland), recovering heat from the blow moulding process in Dorna (Romania) and optimising the distribution of electrical power in Nogara (Italy)
- When it’s available, we use country capabilities to produce green energy, for example we have been purchasing renewable energy in Austria
- We have implemented route-to market plans to lower our emissions logistics
Natural mineral water technologies
We’re focused on developing solutions that will make the cleaning and sanitation of our water systems more effective, so preventing possible quality issues.
Our innovations include a pigging technology that allows us to combine mechanical and chemical cleaning of single pipelines; testing new disinfectants not only in the laboratory but also at an industrial scale, and evaluating cognitive tools which are likely to support root cause analysis in the context of quality deviation.
Use of aseptic and ultra clean technologies
Before they reach our consumers, fruit juices, isotonic beverages, and teas are packed while cold, with the use of aseptic technologies, or hot, using hot fill technologies.
Aseptic (APET), hot fill (HF) and ultra-clean processes eliminate the microorganisms that threaten both product quality and consumer safety.
With 15 APET lines operational in Europe and Russia, and one HF line in Nigeria, we provide our consumers a large variety of juices, teas and isotonic drinks. Our flavored water is produced in two ultra-clean lines that have been installed in Austria and Russia.
Piloting new solutions: first in the world to introduce pulpy aseptic line
Our Ploesti plant in Romania has the first APET line in the world that can produce pulpy juices with fruit bits. As this product range has been exceptionally successful, another APET pulpy line has been installed in 2015 in the Orel plant, in Russia.
Innovation on reducing water and energy consumption
Our Networks for Excellence dedicated to reducing water and energy consumption have developed 15 best practices in water usage reduction and 18 solutions for energy usage reduction. All these solutions are under implementation in all the Coca‑Cola HBC plants.